December 7, 2008

"Bunny," A New Robe, & A New Year's Prayer

Eve's Finished Rag Doll, "Bunny"

On this Day 2 of her project, Eve sewed together her rag doll's body and limbs, cut and sewed the doll's dress, and added a ribbon sash and bows in her hair. She named her doll "Bunny," after her beloved plush bunny she lost a couple weeks ago when a rambunctious little boy threw it on the roof at Love's gym class.


We all thought Eve did such a wonderful job; Love and Alice were inspired to make their own, so Eve helped Love sew and stuff an unadorned head that will soon become a new rag doll for Love. Eve's promised to help Alice with her doll after that.


A New Robe

After repenting and stepping from the brush last week, Jesus met me on the road there. I felt such a sweet sense of relief. He very simply took from me the burden of many months trying to make it on my own strength along my own path.

An image has followed me all week. I looked down at my robe, at the rips in the fabric, the dirt, the sweat stains, the places where the thorns broke my skin and drew blood. I was repulsed and ashamed at how filthy my clothes were.

Jesus said, "Let me have that." So I gave the old robe to Him. He took it in His left hand, and it turned to ash.

With His right hand, He handed me a brand new robe He fashioned just for me. It was made of spotless white linen, soft and perfect, and it had never been worn before by anyone else.

I put the new robe on, and ever since, I've been unashamed to walk next to Him, to ask for things in prayer, or even to confess my sins and ask for His forgiveness and guidance.

I suppose I feel like I'm part of His family. (Intellectually, I've always known that I am, but genuinely feeling that I am part of His family, that I can approach Him without rebuke...that has taken a long time to come to.) I would never feel hesitant or apprehensive to go to my earthly father or my uncle or any of my brothers to talk with them about things, good or bad. Jesus loves me more than my father or uncle or any of my brothers, and He welcomes me in every hour. It struck me quite deeply that I find a comfort and ease of intimacy with Him now, in my new robe He made for me, on this road He paved just for me.

And I can't help but wax sentimental about it all, because I've yearned to experience healing for such a long time. I've never known why there was such a wait before it came to pass, and I may not fully understand for a much longer time. But honestly? I'm content right here where I am with Him on this path. I know He'll walk me to the next destination, wherever that may be, whatever challenges may lie ahead. But I'm not rushing; I'm not impatient. And I'm not dreading the next bend either.


New Year's Prayer

Otherwise, I'm anticipating some big changes around the house between now and the New Year.
  • Cutting off digital cable television (for a significant savings on the Internet/telephone bundle).
  • Opening a second checking account. Deposits into the first account are for bill payments only. Deposits into the second account are for other household expenses and general spending.
  • Major shift in the kitchen. Scaling way back on prepared foods, and cooking from scratch the majority of the time. It's going to require better time management, but I think I'm ready to take on the challenge.
  • Stricter limitations on driving habits.
  • Sticking close to home as much as possible.
I welcome the changes. I miss being home, making home, enjoying home. Community involvement is great, but not at the expense of peace at home.

Guess I've just discovered my New Year's Prayer (formerly "Resolution"): Return to Peace at Home.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Hey girl! WE must both be night time surfers huh?? :)

I love Eve's finished Doll... how beautiful she is! Beautiful work!

I love the picture Jesus gave to you about the robe...whew!! Healing...mmmm..mmm.... comes in it's time...my goodness! Such words to my heart are like medicine..seriously! I am going to have to go back and re-read that post... my goodness... thankyou Jesus for Your heart towards us. Wow!

I hear ya on the New Year's Goals... love that your Word is to bring peace back into your home...love that! :)

Amy

Ganeida said...

Wow! Eve has done a great job on her Bunny. I'm sooo impressed she wants to help her sisters make their own too. Job well done mama!

lisi said...

new year's.. ahh.. 2009
i'm really glad to read your resolutions; peace overall huh?!!

the doll is really pretty eve!
that is sooo cool.. inspires me to create! really~
and btw.. melody.. i like your children's names... ;-)
they are beauties!
bless you friend, lis